Cultural Diversity and Inclusion: Overview
Biases and prejudices will always exist, both at the individual and community levels. In fact, individual biases are the very fabric of a diverse population. However, administrators, school staff and students must learn not to cross the line between having a personal bias and acting on that bias. The roots of illegal discrimination lie in biases being combined with hurtful actions toward others. People need to be taught to think before they act, and to understand the legal ramifications of their actions.
McGrath Training Systems educates people through a culturally responsive problem-solving and communication system personally designed by Founder Mary Jo McGrath, Attorney at Law. Her commitment to people’s wellbeing is evident in all the courses she develops, which combine the human dynamics of relationship with the equitable spirit of the law. Consequently, the programs are both legally based and designed to enhance human relations. Diversity becomes the asset that it truly is and misunderstandings are minimized.
Participants in this program will:
- Understand “microcultural group memberships” and their implication in the human dynamics of the school setting.
- Gain awareness of stereotypes and assumptions, and their impact on personal attitudes and behaviors.
- Distinguish between bias, prejudice, and illegal discrimination.
- Learn about criminal and civil laws and administrative policies and procedures, as they relate to discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age and other identified bases of discrimination.
- Apply a Five-Point Criterion that clarifies what constitutes legally actionable discrimination under state and federal law.
- Learn and practice the McGrath system for identifying, analyzing and resolving conflict and misunderstandings by communicating effectively, and engendering trust, respect, understanding and growth.
- Be inspired to become a leader in creating an atmosphere of cultural responsiveness and inclusion at your school site, department or district.
For: Administrators, classified managers and instructional personnel.